UK Working Holiday Visa

If you’re Under31 years old and want to work, live and travel the UK, it’s the 2 year UK Working Holiday Visa you should apply for. Under31 will help you every step of the way to successfully apply for this visa so you can focus on planning the rest of your journey.

Visa Facts

Length of Visa: 2 years
Renewable: No
Apply in advance: 6 months of arriving in the UK
Processing time: 3 weeks from visa appointment date or 1 week by priority service (can take up to 3 months)



You’re eligible for the UK Working Holiday Visa if you can tick all the boxes:

I hold an Australian or New Zealand Passport
I am aged 18 – 30 years inclusive
I have not been previously granted the UK Working Holiday Visa
I have AUD$3’500 or more in savings (proof of funds requirement)


The Working Holiday Visa is approx $1’100. The exact amount in AUD fluctuates with exchange rate at time of application.

Fee GBP Approx AUD Equivalent
UK Working Holiday Visa 230 449
Immigration Health Surcharge 300 573
International Currency Transfer Fee 3.5% 39
Under31 Visa Fee 185
Total $1’246

It’s the compulsory Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) that makes this visa so expensive BUT it allows you to use the UK’s National Healthcare System (NHS) during the life of your visa, sort of like Medicare in Australia. Find more information on the IHS/NHS here.


Under31 UK Visa Service includes:

  • Application reviewed and lodged according to the UK Visa and Immigration Guidelines
  • Link Immigration Health Surcharge to your Application
  • Visa Appointment booked at a convenient time for you
  • BRP collection details
  • Support document guidance
  • Recommendations to fit both your travel plans and visa requirements
  • Correspondence with the UKVi on your behalf where necessary
  • Endless support, pre and post application, even after departure


Support Documents

Documents essential to your UK Working Holiday Visa Application are:

 Passport (Aussie or Kiwi)*
 Proof of Funds
 Other documents depending on your individual circumstances**

*Other Commonwealth Passport holders are also eligible for this visa, however Under31 specialise in Australian and New Zealand Passport applications.

**As part of the Under31 Visa Service, your individual application and support document requirements will be reviewed and discussed with you to ensure you provide exactly what’s required to get your visa granted.

Application Process

  1. Follow the link below to complete the Application Form. You will be guided by Under31 to successfully complete your application (No Credit Card Details or Payments Required)
  2. Pay Visa Fee (don’t pay today, you only pay after your application has been reviewed and assessed as eligible)
  3. Attend Visa Appointment with your support documents (as guided by Under31)
  4. Wait for your visa to be approved


Application Centres

After your visa has been lodged and paid for with the UKVI, you’ll need to attend a Visa Application Centre. Under31 will book you into your preferred location and send you the confirmation details.

Australian and New Zealand Passport holders can attend any of the following centres:


  • Sydney
  • Brisbane
  • Melbourne
  • Perth
  • Hobart
  • Adelaide

New Zealand

  • Wellington
  • Auckland
  • Christchurch

Note: You can sometimes apply from other countries under certain circumstances.

At your visa appointment, your biometric data (fingerprints and photograph) will be taken and stored on file along with your application. The consulate will send your application, passport and support documents off to the UK Home Office for your visa to be assessed and processed so it’s important you don’t have any overseas trips planned within at least 3 weeks of your visa appointment as you will be without your passport during this time. UKVi recommend you do not have flights booked, in case of processing delays.



How long will my visa take to process?

95% of applications are processed in 3 weeks, 98% in 6 weeks, 100% in 12 weeks.


Can I speed up my application?

Yes, you can pay an additional fee (approx $300) for priority service which has your visa processed and passport back to you within 1 week of visa appointment.

What is the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS)?

The IHS was made compulsory to Australians and New Zealanders in April 2016. We now have to contribute to the NHS which is equiv to Australia’s Medicare. It means you have access to the UK Healthcare System for the duration of your visa. It does not replace the need for Travel Insurance. See here for more information on the IHS.

What is a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)?

A BRP is your 2 year visa card. It looks like a drivers licence and can only be collected from a Post Office in the UK in person and by showing your passport and Vignette (Sticker inside your passport).


What is a Vignette?

A Vignette is a sticker placed inside your passport upon approval of your Working Holiday Visa. It is a 30 validity period in which you need to arrive in the UK and collect your BRP card.


Can I extend my Vignette period?

Yes, you can apply for a Vignette transfer which requires lodging a new application, paying another visa fee (approx AUD$400) and attending another visa appointment. We recommend you use Under31’s UK Visa Service or Visa Consultation for this extension.